26 July 2010

SoCal travels and ridiculous amounts of deliciousness Part 1

Okay, so I've been MIA. My apologies, but it was only because I've been up and down California frantically searching and trying to visit as many places to eat in order to contribute onto this blog. Really, I had good intentions... (I would like to dedicate this blog to Emily, because without her, I would have never rediscovered my love for socal and its food).

For the past couple of weeks, I was visiting my bestie, also the best tour guide ever, Emily. She took the liberty to take me from L.A. all the way down to the Mexican border. Along the way, not only did she introduce me to my future residence, Coronado (more on that later), but she showed me these amazing restaurants and bakeries.
So where shall I begin? Definitely, Porto's in Glendale, California. They also have another location in Burbank. This Cuban-style bakery specializes in just about anything and everything your little heart desires. From your not-so-everyday cupcake to scrumptious sweet cream cheese and guava strudels, they really know how to make you salivate. Just walking into this place you know it's popular with locals. Falling in line to get your order taken makes you feel like you're in line for the women's restroom at a concert. And whatever you do, please, oh, please, try their tiramisu...It is the best EVER. It is my all-time favorite dessert and this place finally got it right! Trust me, it is so worth sitting for an hour or two in LA traffic to get to this place.
Okay, next...Crumbs Bakery, in Beverly Hills. So last year, Em joined me in Vegas for my 25th birthday, and she brought me the best surprise ever, cupcakes! However, these are not your average cupcakes. These treats are loaded with gooey centers of delicious filling. They have way too many flavors to choose from. So many, I found myself sitting in front of the window for a good 10 minutes before I decided what I wanted. From cookies n' cream, dutch apple, cookie dough, red velvet, original vanilla and chocolate, mint chocolate, to peanut butter cup, the list goes on and on. For their full menu, visit their website at Crumbs. After eating your cupcake, burn off the calories and do some shopping, right around the corner is Rodeo drive.
Onto the next one...we find ourselves down in a little place called Sun Diego (That's not a typo). Here in the greatest city ever, Em takes me to Extraordinary Desserts. This bakery specializes in pastries, cakes, teas, and yumminess for your tummy and eyes. (I already put in a special request that my next birthday cake comes from here). When you get to this place, the ambiance is totally date-like; with their soft lighting and candlelit table tops, it's a completely romantic setting. I must warn you, these "extraordinary" desserts must be shared...unless you're me and want the whole thing to yourself.

While we're in sunny San Diego, for breakfast, we went to Hash House A Go Go. All I can say is, AMAZING! Before you park, you can already tell its popularity. The outside of this place has chairs, umbrellas, and fresh coffee for those hungry patrons waiting to get seated. It took Em and I about a half hour or about 3 quarters worth on the meter until we were called. But like everyone says, "all good things comes to those who wait." This place is totally hip and down with the vibe of San Diego. You'll be greeted with a crowd along with their loud conversations and even louder but, awesome music. The food...absolutely, positively, fabulous! And the portions? Out of this world! We had enough leftovers to feed three Marines the next day. (Thanks, Em's cousin and friends!)

1 comment: